Christmas is all about celebration and celebrations are incomplete without Christmas food. If you have guests pouring in, here are some last minute Christmas dinner ideas. It includes a complete menu of a quick salad, a main course, and an irresistible dessert.
With these recipes, we are sure you will have a wonderful Christmas 2016 celebration.
Fresh Mushroom and Parsley Salad
- 1 pound large button mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounce piece Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix together the mushrooms and parsley in a medium salad bowl. Whisk together the oil and lemon juice in a separate bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the oil mixture to the salad bowl and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Shave the Parmesan on top and serve.
Fettuccine with Quick Ragu
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound ground veal or turkey
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and rosemary in a food processor. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil add chopped vegetables and cook for three to five minutes. Add the veal, one teaspoon salt and half teaspoon pepper and cook for three minutes. Add the tomatoes, milk, one cup water and half teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until it thickens.
In a large pot of salted water, boil and cook the fettuccine. Drain it and then toss with half of the ragu. Top with Parmesan.
Ferrero Rocher Ice-Cream Cake
- 2 x 200g packs Ferrero Rocher
- 2 litres vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
Line a 10 x 20 cm loaf pan with plastic wrap, leave the sides overhanging. Coarsely chop half of the Ferrero Rocher. In a large bowl add the Frangelico, ice cream, and the chopped Ferrero Rocher chocolate and gently fold to combine.
Put the ice cream mixture into the lined pan. Smooth the surface of the ice cream with the back of spoon. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for six hours or until completely set.
In a small saucepan combine the chocolate spread and milk and heat it over a low flame. Remove the ice cream by turning it over on a serving plate.
Drizzle with chocolate sauce and decorate with remaining Ferrero Rocher. Return to the freezer until ready to serve.
Hobbs, S., “Ferrero rocher ice-cream cake,” Taste web site, September 2014;
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/37766/ferrero+rocher+ice+cream+cake?ref=collections,christmas-last-minute-cheats, last accessed December 23, 2016
“Fettuccine With Quick Ragu,” Food Network web site;
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/fettuccine-with-quick-ragu-recipe.html, last accessed December 23, 2016