It is the biggest game of the year and you are going to have a Super Bowl party of epic proportions. But you don’t want your party to be like everyone else’s. You want the best Super Bowl food, the best Super Bowl appetizers, but you also want them to be slightly unique and healthy.
To that end, we’ve dug through the Internet and found the best Super Bowl recipes for your party that are both awesome and healthy. These recipes for Super Bowl party awesomeness are sure to make your party talked about for months to come.
5 Best Recipes for Super Bowl Party
1. Thai Style Pork Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- ½ cup (whole wheat) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced lemongrass
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small chili pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
Stir together all ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs thoroughly and roll into tablespoon-sized balls with wet hands.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan on medium. Cook the meatballs while stirring often until browned on all sides and cooked through. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
2. Lemon Drop Chicken Wings
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, tips trimmed off
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vodka, lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir/shake to dissolve sugar and salt. Add the chicken wings and mix to coat. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but overnight works best.
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking pan with two layers of foil. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in the pan, and pour the marinade evenly over all. Bake until meat is well browned and pulling away from the bone, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3. Sweet Potato Tots
- 1 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes (3 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or edam
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small brown onion, finely grated
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Pierce holes all over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes or until skewers easily go through the sweet potatoes.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to remove the flesh.
Place the flesh in a large mixing bowl. Cool down until it reaches room temperature before combining with the other ingredients.
Add egg yolk, cheddar, grated onion, garlic, breadcrumb, coriander, salt, and pepper. Combine these ingredients with a spoon until it forms a mash.
Use your hands to shape the sweet potato tots and place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray, leaving space between each tots.
Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy and slightly golden brown. The center should stay soft.
“We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Foods 4 Better Health may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.”
4. 7 Layer Mexican Dip
- 3 medium-sized ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cans (9 oz. each) bean dip or 2 cans refried beans — or make your own, or just use canned rinsed/drained whole
- black or pinto beans!
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 & ½ C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (3 ½ oz. each) pitted ripe sliced olives, drained (optional)
- 1 package (8 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
Prepare avocados (peel, scoop them out, and de-pit them) in a bowl with lemon juice, salt, and pepper (or put in blender). In another bowl, combine yogurt and taco seasoning mix.
Assemble to your tastes but the following works well.
Spread bean dip/refried beans on a tray or platter.
Spread avocado mixture over bean dip, followed by the yogurt-taco mixture over the avocado mixture.
Place chopped green onions, then the tomatoes, and finally the olives and the grated cheddar cheese over the entire dish.
5. Smokey Chicken Fingers
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon barbecue smoked seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
Preheat oven to 400º F. Use a large baking sheet, and spray it with cooking oil so the chicken doesn’t stick.
In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Mix with a fork to combine. In a second dish, combine milk and liquid smoke. In the final dish, combine oats, garlic seasoning, and breadcrumbs.
Dredge chicken in flour and make sure both sides are evenly coated. Transfer chicken to milk mixture and turn to coat. Transfer to the breadcrumb-oat mixture, and turn chicken to coat.
Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and crust is crispy and browned. Serve with dipping sauce of your choice.
Regina. “Thai Style Meatballs”, Leelalicious, December 16, 2015, http://leelalicious.com/thai-style-pork-meatballs/
Carine. “Sweet Potato Tots”, SweetasHoney, November 8, 2016, http://www.sweetashoney.co/sweet-potato-tots-healthy-lunchbox-snacks/
“7 Layer Dip”, Fantastic Food, http://www.fannetasticfood.com/recipes/healthier-seven-layer-dip/
“Smoky Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dip”, Health.com, http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001097977,00.html
Farquhar, E. “Lemon-Drop Chicken Wings”, My Recipes, 2008, http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-drop-chicken-wings