Kale is a well-known superfood. It’s low in calories, high in fiber, and rich in vitamins, magnesium, and folate. If you’re not a fan of the taste—our favorite foodie Oprah Winfrey (who has had a long, public battle with weight loss) has shared a deliciously healthy kale chips recipe.
Kale Chips Recipe: Oprah-Approved!
The kale chips recipe (created by Nell Stephenson, co-author of The Paleo Diet Cookbook) was posted on Oprah’s website, and features simple ingredients and easy directions:
All you need is:
- One bunch of kale
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Lay a baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After washing and drying the kale, discard the stems. Shred the leaves into similar-sized pieces and put in the bowl.
- Pour olive oil on top and mix the kale (using your hands).
- Add pepper to taste.
- Take the baking sheet from the oven and place the kale on it (spread in an even layer).
- Place the sheet back in the oven and bake for up to 15 minutes (turn the kale pieces over once at about the 7 minute mark).
- Cool and then enjoy!
Health Benefits of Kale Chips
Kale chips make the perfect substitute for regular chips (and other high-calorie snacks) as they can help with weight management.
One cup of kale, for example, contains 34 calories. A tablespoon of olive oil contains 119 calories. So your kale chips come in at a total of 153 calories. One cup of potato chips on the other hand has about 9.37 grams of fat, with 60% of calories coming from fat. So these Oprah-approved kale chips make the perfect alternative.
Oprah has yet to reveal if this kale chips recipe will be listed in her new cookbook, set to be released in January 2017.
Source for Today’s Article:
“Kale Chips Recipe,” Oprah.com; http://www.oprah.com/food/Kale-Chips-Recipe, last accessed June 21, 2016.
“1 Cup Regular Potato Chips,” Fatsecret.com, https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/white-potato-chips?portionid=20480&portionamount=1.000; last accessed June 21, 2016.