When feeling a little under the weather, there’s nothing like a warm and rich bowl of soup to make you feel better. It’s as comforting as a close, warm hug. And if it’s healthy and easy-to-make, the goodness just doubles.
In the quest to find the perfect creamy tomato soup, we found Martha Stewart’s homemade tomato soup recipe. It’s tasty, healthy, and guaranteed to please. Here are the tomato soup ingredients and directions to make the perfect tomato soup.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 26 1/2-ounce boxes vacuum-packed crushed tomatoes, or 10 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 5 1/4 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (milk and cream)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Take a saucepan and put it over medium heat. Add butter, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook them until translucent and fragrant for about six minutes.
Next, add crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth with oregano. Bring the whole mixture to boil. Cook it on low heat for about 45 minutes. After it thickens properly, remove it from the heat.
Lastly, add the half-and-half and keep stirring while adding it in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with oregano (optional). Tastes best when served hot.
Note: You can also make this soup without adding the half-and-half.