The spring season is fast approaching. This is the season of warmer weather and new beginnings as everything comes back to life. The respite that warm spring days offer from the bitter cold days of winter is a cause for celebration in many places around the world.
Welcome the spring season by trying these top five spring recipes for a healthy 2017.
Blini with Smoked Salmon Recipe
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, clarified, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Fresh dill sprig, for garnish
Combine the buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together the milk, egg, and one tablespoon of the clarified butter in a separate bowl. Whisk the mixture into the flour mixture.
Heat a sauté pan and grease it with clarified butter. Drop the batter one spoon at a time on the pan. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form on the top side of the blini, about two minutes.
Flip and cook until brown. Top the blini with a piece of smoked salmon and add a dollop of creme fraiche. Garnish each with a sprig of dill.
Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. If the asparagus are thick, peel them or just chop off the ends. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat the asparagus completely.
Season the asparagus with salt and pepper. Roast it for 25 minutes until tender but still crisp. Can be served hot or cold.
Spring Chicken in a Pot Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 300g small new potato
- 425ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 350g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 350g spring greens, shredded
- 140g peas
- A bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp pesto
Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Fry for five minutes until softened and then add chicken. Fry until lightly colored and add potatoes, vegetable stock, pepper and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked, about 30 minutes. Add the broccoli, spring greens, peas, and spring onions, and boil. Cook covered for five minutes more. Stir in the pesto and heat through.
Salmon Spring Salad with Chili Lemon Dressing Recipe
- 8 hot-smoked salmon steaks, skin removed
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 500g new potato, halved
- A bunch of parsley and mint leaves roughly chopped
- 140g radish, thinly sliced
- 200g pack asparagus tips
- 250g bag mixed salad leaves (including young beetroot leaves and watercress)
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 125ml olive oil
- 2 red chilies
In salted water, boil the potatoes for 10 minutes. Add the asparagus tips for the final two minutes of cooking. Drain and cool the potatoes and asparagus.
Whisk together the salad dressing and season it. Toss together the potatoes, asparagus, salad leaves, herbs, and radishes in a large bowl. Add two-thirds of the dressing and mix the salad. Place it on a platter.
Chop the hot-smoked salmon into large chunks and top it over the salad. Garnish it with spring onions and pour on the remaining salad dressing.
Spring Green Salad Recipe
- 8 to 10 cups mixed greens (mesclun, watercress, baby arugula, dandelion, hydroponic sprouts, and shoots)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
In a large bowl put the greens and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over two tablespoons of olive oil.
Toss and add lemon juice and toss again to mix well. Adjust the seasonings as per taste. Serve immediately.
Garten, I., “Blini with Smoked Salmon,” Food Network web site; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/blini-with-smoked-salmon-recipe.html, last accessed January 26, 2017.
Garten, I., “Roasted Asparagus,” Food Network web site; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-asparagus-recipe.html, last accessed January 26, 2017.
Cadogan, M., “Spring chicken in a pot,” Good Food web site; http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10052/spring-chicken-in-a-pot, last accessed January 26, 2017.
“Hot-smoked salmon salad with a chilli lemon dressing,” http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5890/hotsmoked-salmon-salad-with-a-chilli-lemon-dressin, last accessed January 26, 2017.
Florence, T., “Spring Green Salad,” Food Network web site; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spring-green-salad-recipe.html, last accessed January 26, 2017.