Have you planned a St. Patrick’s Day dinner? If not, we have a few delicious and simple corned beef and cabbage recipes for St. Patrick’s Day 2017. Corned beef and cabbage can be prepared in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot.
3 Simple Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipes
1. Corned Beef and Cabbage in Slow Cooker Recipe
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
- Pickling spice packet or 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- ½ head of Savoy cabbage, cut into 1 ½-inch wedges
- Grainy mustard, for serving
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch wedges (root end left intact)
- ½ pound of small potatoes, halved if large
- 6 sprigs of thyme
Put celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, and thyme in a slow cooker. Facing the fat side up, place the corned beef on the vegetables and season with pickling spice. Add enough water until it covers the meat.
Cook covered on high until the beef is tender, about 4 ¼ hours. On low, it will take 8 ½ hours.
Layer the cabbage on the beef and cook covered for 45 minutes, or until it gets tender. Thinly slice the corned beef and serve with vegetables, cooking liquid, and sprinkle some grainy mustard.
Related: More Slow Cooker Recipes
2. Special Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch coins
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head of green cabbage
- 3 pounds of corned beef brisket (with spice packet)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces of dark beer, such as stout or porter (can be replaced with 1 ½ cups beef broth)
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
- 1 to 2 cups of beef broth (plus additional as needed)
- 6 to 8 medium red potatoes, rinsed and quartered
- 1 large clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
Put the carrots, garlic, onion, and bay leaf in a six-quart slow cooker. Arrange the beef on top of the vegetables.
Whisk the spice packet with beer, brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard and pour it over the beef. Then, pour in the beef broth. The liquid should partially cover the beef. Place the potatoes on top of the beef.
Cook covered on low for 6 ½ hours. Cut the cabbage into eight wedges and place the wedges on the potatoes. Cook for another 1 ½ hours, until the cabbage is tender.
Remove the vegetables and beef from the slow cooker. Discard the liquid. The corned beef and cabbage is ready to be served.
3. Corned Beef and Cabbage in Instant Pot Recipe
Related: 5 Low-Carb Recipes Using Instant Pot
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
- 2 pounds of small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups of baby carrots
- 4 cups of water
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds of corned beef brisket, including spice packet or DIY spice packet
- 1 head of green cabbage, cut into large wedges
Place a rack in the Instant Pot and put in the beef brisket, garlic, spice packet, and four cups of water in it. Select the Meat/Stew setting and cook for 90 minutes. Quick release pressure after 90 minutes.
Transfer the corned beef to a platter and cover with foil. Put the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage in the Instant Pot without discarding the liquid. Cook for five to six minutes at high pressure, and then do a quick pressure release.
The corned beef and vegetables are ready to serve.
- Is Corned Beef Healthy
- How to Boil Cabbage
- How to Clean Instant Pot in Minutes
- Slow Cooker Temperature Guide
“Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage,” Martha Stewart; http://www.marthastewart.com/891899/slow-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage, last accessed March 16, 2017.
Barber, C., “Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage,” Today; http://www.today.com/recipes/slow-cooker-corned-beef-cabbage-t8521, last accessed March 16, 2017.
“Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage,” Family Fresh Meals; http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2017/03/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage.html, , last accessed March 16, 2017